Owing to various natural and historical factors, India had come to be the nerve-centre of religious and spiritual correction and reform during the declining phase of Islamic supremacy. Proselytizing and reformationist activities made such an advance in India that many other countries were also influenced by them. Religious preachers and renovators were born here who on the strength of their earnestness, learning and popularity, the effectiveness of their appeal and the great number of people who profited by their efforts and by their natural harmony with the real spirit of Islam and its call constituted the choicest examples of Islamic missionaries and reformers.
The most elevated among these religious guides and redeemers was Sheikh Ahmad Sirhindi (d. 1624) upon whom men of vision and understanding have conferred the title of Mujaddid Alf-i-Sani (the Renovator of the Second Millennium). It was he who;
- Renewed and strengthened the bond of Indian Muslims with Islam
- Saved the Shariat from being corrupted by innovations and the apostasy of the extremist Sufis, as they were openly inclined towards the pantheistic doctrine of Wahdat-ul-Wajood (God is everything and everything is God).
- It was he again, who rescued the Mughal Empire from the whirlpool of irreligiousness it had got caught into.
- Put a check on the highly dangerous movement for the unity and amalgamation of faiths (Deen-i-Ilaahi)
- Put a check on the revival of Brahmanism.
- The great devotee of Allah and indefatigable crusader in His cause, Aurangzeb, too, was a product of his mighty struggle.
The Sufistic Order founded by him still endures, besides India, in countries like Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Kurdistan and Syria.The popularity this Order acquired through the efforts of his disciple, Allama Khalid Shahrazori Kurdi (d. 1826) in Arabia, Kurdistan, Syria and Turkey has not come by the way of any other Sufi System1
1. Usman-us-Sanad: Asfat Mawared fi Tarjuma Hazrat Saiyyadna Khalid, and Mohammad Amin Ibn Omar Abideen: Sallul Husam-il-Hindi Le Nusrat-i Maulana Khalid Naqshbandi
P.S. The article has been created from the works of great Islamic scholar Maulana Syed Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi (Ali Miyan).